Secondary School Players
Underwater Hockey for Auckland Secondary School students is provided in the following ways:
- Auckland Secondary Schools Tuesday night competitions held during Terms 2 and 3 each year. This competition is run through College Sport.
- Auckland Underwater Hockey organizes pre-season games to assist schools with their preparation for the College Sport competition. These run from the middle of Term 1.
- Secondary Schools Northern Zone Championships held towards the end of Term 2, leading to the National Secondary Schools Underwater Hockey Championships at the end of Term 3.Further information is provided on the Underwater Hockey New Zealand website.
- National Under 18s Underwater Hockey Tournament, provided by Underwater Hockey New Zealand. This tournament is held early December, and is the stepping stone towards representing New Zealand in Underwater Hockey. Players are selected to train and qualify for this tournament during the Regional Secondary Schools tournaments each year.
For more information or questions please contact Shayne Blake
Secondary Schools Competition
The Secondary School Competition is sanctioned and run through College Sport and according to College Sport rules.
Pre-season games are held on 27th March, 3rd April, 10th April, and 1st May. Entries close on 19th March 2018.
The formal competition begins 8th May 2018 and runs through the winter sports season – finishing end of August. Prize-giving night will be held on the 4th September.
There are four grades:
- Junior Open: aged under 15 on 1st January 2018
- Junior Girls: girls aged under 15 on 1st January 2018
- Senior Open: aged 15 or over on 1st January 2018
- Senior Girls: girls aged 15 or over on 1st January 2018
Games are approximately 20 minutes long and are played on Tuesday nights
7.00 pm – 9.00 pm at the Diocesan Aquatic Centre, Clyde Street, Epsom. Please drive into the underground car park from the Clyde street car park entrance.
- College Sport annual fee. Schools will be notified of the 2018 College Sport fee directly. It is a one-off charge per team entered in to the Secondary school competition, and covers pool hire, administration, UWH pool and refereeing equipment (including maintenance), prize giving costs etc. College Sport will send invoices to schools once teams are confirmed at the end of Term 1.
- Personal equipment costs are players own responsibility.
- For Pre-Season games, schools will be invoiced for their share of pool hire costs.
Each player will need:
- Mask (must have two lenses)
- Snorkel (must be flexible)
- Fins (must be full foot and flexible – no sharp edges)
- Glove – cannot be orange or yellow or similar
- Mouthguard (internal or external)
- Sticks – uniform black or white (name may be written on handle)
- School togs – same design and colour (one pair only or two the same colour and similar style)
Each player will also need to play with either a black/blue or white cap in keeping with the stick colour during each game. Cap numbers must be unique with no duplicate numbers within the team.
Each team needs a minimum of three referees, parents are invited to become referees. (These referees will be required to attend a referees course).